श्री वक्रतुण्ड महाकाय सूर्य कोटी समप्रभा निर्विघ्नं कुरु मे देव सर्व-कार्येशु सर्वदा॥
1) Why Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated?
Ganesh Chaturthi (गणेश चतुर्थी) is the Hindu Festival and celebrated in all over India but the main and widely celebration happens in Maharashtra. This celebration happens on the birthday of Lord Ganesha. He is the younger son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated on Shukla Chaturthi of the Hindu month of Bhadra (generally falls between August and September). On this occasion, people bring Idols of Ganesha to their homes and worship them. It is a 10 days festival and on 11th-day grand visarjan happens. On this special occasion, women make Prasad of “Modak” which is loved by Ganesh Ji.
Ganesh Chaturthi is also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi. The festival worships him as the god of good beginnings, prosperity, and an obstacle remover.
2) Why Eco-Friendly Ganpati is Important?
Generally, people buy Ganesh Idols which are made from Plaster of Paris (PoP), which is not easily degradable. This pollutes the water and is harmful to aquatic life present in the water body. So, it is advisable to use eco-friendly Ganesha idols. Eco-Friendly Ganesh Idols are made from Clay, Paper Mache, and other biodegradable materials. These Ganesha idols can easily be immersed in water. Eco-friendly idols do not harm the environment and pollute the water.
3) How to perform Ganesh Visarjan?
Before taking Ganesh for Visarjan you should perform some important rituals.
- The first and important thing you have to know is using Eco-Friendly Ganpati Murti which can be immersed easily in the water. So you can do visarjan at your home as well as at other water sources places such as Sea, River, Lake, etc.
- Before visarjan, firstly you should do the Aarti with Ganesh mantra. After aarti it is preferred to put Bhog (Prasad).
- At the time of visarjan you offer five items like deep or diya (oil lamps), pushp (flowers), dhoop (incense), gandh (fragrance) and naivedya (food) to Ganpati.
- After Pooja, you can proceed for Ganesh visarjan. On this day, all the family members and friends should gather and they can loudly chant mantras such as ‘Ganpati Bappa Morya’ among others.
- When immersing Ganesha’s Murti in the water ensure that Face of Ganesh is facing towards family members, so you can see him while he is departing.